Navigation Menu+

Cambridge School of Architecture

Cambridge School of Architecture and Landscape Architecture

Cambridge University

The School was founded in 1915 as the Cambridge School of Architecture and Landscape Architecture, and was the first to produce women graduate training in these two professions, coordinated under a single faculty. Due to Harvard University's policy of a male institution, the school ran as a "little experiment" in the office of Henry Frost, professor of architectural design at Harvard University, with only nine to twelve students, all women. In 1924 it was incorporated under Massachusetts law as an educational institution. In 1934 the School was affiliated with Smith College as a Graduate School, retaining its own name and independent organization, but with the privilege of recommending its students to the College for the graduate degrees of Master in Architecture and Master in Landscape Architecture. Two years later the graduate degrees of Bachelor of Architecture and Bachelor of Landscape Architecture were introduced, preceding the Master's degrees, which since that time have been granted for advanced work. In 1938 the School became actually a part of Smith College as its Graduate School in the two professions for which it prepares students, while the school itself was to remain in Cambridge.

Scope and Contents of the Collection

The Cambridge School of Architecture and Landscape Architecture Records are comprised of Alumnae Bulletins, sketches, bookplates, certificates, brochures, correspondence, examinations, photographs, reports, slides and information on student careers.

This collection is organized into four series:

Information on Use

Terms of Access and Use

Restrictions on access:

The papers are open for research according to the regulations of the Smith College Archives with the exception of student files which are restricted and closed to research use.

Restrictions on use:

Single photocopies may be made for research purposes. Permission to publish material from the documents must be requested from the Smith College Archives. Smith College owns copyright to any published material relating to college events and activities. Provenance and copyright ownership of other materials is unknown and researchers are responsible for determining any question of copyright.

Preferred Citation

Please use the following format when citing materials from this collection:

Cambridge School of Architecture and Landscape Architecture Records, Box #, Smith College Archives.

History of the Collection

The Cambridge School of Architecture and Landscape Architecture Records were donated by Dorothy May Anderson to the Smith College Archives.

Processing Information

Processed by Gayla Spaulding

Additional Information




Encoding funded by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.

Contents List

Background contains information of examinations, exhibitions, faculty salaries, history of the school, photographs, reports and slides and books given to Smith College.



Box 1: folder 1


1929-1940, 1984

Box 1: folder 2

Faculty salaries


Box 1: folder 3

History of School


Box 1: folder 4

Organization of school


Box 1: folder 5


1935-1978, n.d.

Box 1: folder 6

Report on the plan for Smith College


Box 1: folder 7

Report to the President of Smith College


Box 1: folder 8

List: slides and books given to Smith College


Box 1: folder 9

Related Posts