RIBA Portland Place London
Why do architects sometimes make insufficient profits out of their projects? It is tempting to blame others, such as the client who dithers and asks for changes; the team which isn’t quite of one mind; the planners who take too long; or, possibly, the perfidious contractor. However, it is architects, who are very often the team leaders, who are ultimately responsible, and so it is really up to them to put their project and team together in a way that is resistant to these problems.
This seminar will take examples from the group of problems that can undermine our projects and:
- Analyse them and their origins
- Look at ways of avoiding them
- Explore ways of working with them, if they are unavoidable
- Consider more effective ways of selecting and composing the team
- Introduce processes that can keep us out of trouble.
Although a complex subject area, delegates will be equipped with the fundamental knowledge to analyse their projects, and discover ways to start the process of improvement, with reference to specific hints provided in the seminar.
Speaker: Dr James Mather RIBA
James, a project management academic, has over 35 years of professional experience. His initial work dealt specifically with listed buildings and later moved into specialised housing for people with particular disabilities. He took an MBA at Reading University and then initiated a short course in construction project management, offered through Reading University. This course has now evolved into the RIBA Certificate in Construction Project Management and other courses have followed, some of which include ‘Developing the team for BIM’, ‘The Principal Designer function discharged through superior design management’, ‘Ethics in practice’, as well as a ‘CDM’ course. James has been published on topics such as construction project teams and design management.
Core Curriculum topics: 1. External management 2. Internal management
Terms & Conditions
- An email will be sent to confirm your place on receipt of your booking. A second email confirming venue along with map/directions will be sent to you approx. 7-10 days before the event.
- Bookings at the member rates will only be accepted if accompanied by a valid membership number.